Core Internet Values
Internet Society Livestream
The internet ecosystem is already changed. Here are my notes, listening to the presentation.
1. History overview: APRANET, Switch, Internetting, WWW, Governance and Multi stakeholders.
2. Scale: Connectivity from 4 hosts to 2.6 billion people.
3. From free flow of information to regulated network.
– National sovereignty and the Internet, vulnerabilities, National segments with gateways, Security and crime.
– Changing the values about free flow of information. Data localisation, stored on a territory it originates.
4. Multi-stakeholder model. Politicizing.
– Working group to bring forward recommendations.
– Core belief about benefits of diversity of all participating versus the belief the primarily role of governments for law, intellectual property.
– ITU about the roles
5.Processes, examples and challenges
– evolving of roles about how civil society and individuals are talking to the community, hybrids.
– multi stakeholder is varying, there isn’t one model.
– increase accountability of domain name and empowering the ICANN Community. Significant change over 2,5 year process with common objectives.
– Freedom online coalition about human rights around the globe. Cybersecurity beyond speeches of governments.
– Challenges are time, cost, expertise. Complexity and necessity is essential and multi stakeholder processes have increasing role.
6. Identity and privacy. Good practice. Responsibility of infrastructure network, connected devices. Collaborative Security.
For the record, this overview is a mirror of how my life started and changed from 4 hosts network and political control behind the iron curtain ( I was born with the birth of the technical network), till the Google+ platform, as I’m typing my notes to share with G+ users who would be interested to research the topic of connectivity and open architechture
lucy plays says
Simon Gates says
Smat Frank says