With Hangouts Meet all globally distributed teams can still reliably meet face to face.Google Cloud 3rd March 2020
Events transform the working environment, empower through exchange of knowledge and benefit both personal and industry’s growth.
Large organisations have been implementing and benefiting from Google’s Intelligent Apps for their internationally spread branches for quite awhile.
Now the time has come in one way or another for the rest of the world to discover the power of virtual meetings. Besides the well known among end users Zoom and Skype, Hangouts Meet by Google has been recently boosted with more features from the Hangouts Meet Product Team. Since I started using Hangouts Meet with my G Suite Enterprise account in November 2018 there have been more than 10 major releases in a raw.
Hangouts Meet Recent Releases
Here is an unexhausted list:
- Assign Meeting Privileges, update rolled out on the 19th of March 2020
- Live Captions. Turning Live Captions “On” makes it possible for participants who can’t hear for any reason to read the words of the speaker.
- Dial in Hangouts Meet with an international phone number. This is a mobile user friendly opportunity to join video conferencing.
- Material design Visual improvements.
- Use of Hangouts Meet with Internet Explorer 11
- Hangouts Meet has One setting in Admin Console
- Meet Quality Tool, including visual timeline to evidence start of the video call, participants, devices, who shared screen and for how long, who left the meeting, microphone activity, video and audio quality data and codes of the video call.
- Use a phone for audio in Hangouts Meet
Hangouts Meet video-conferencing capabilities
with all G Suite editions are including:
Meetings for up to 250 participants per call
Live streaming for up to 100,000 viewers within a domain
The ability to record meetings and save them to Google Drive
In support of educational and work processes hampered by COVID-19 Google has enabled at no additional costs these features until 1st July 2020.
The quoted functionalities of Google’s productivity apps are normally costing G Suite Enterprise editions EUR 23 per licence.
Hangouts Meet “How To”
The best place to start with Google’s video-conferencing is the G Suite Learning center.
Easily follow from the Pins on this Board
- Join Meet on the web
- join Meet on mobile
- join Meet from an email invite
- call in Meet from your phone
- Create Calendar Events adding Meet video conference
- Chat in Meet
- Present in Meet
- Change layout
Hangouts Meet Enable Recording
- Subscribe to G Suite. Choose edition.
- Login your Admin Console and go to G Suite apps on your left panel
- Open Hangouts and click “Mee settings” to turn recording “On”. It is set to “Off” by default.
How to Join an Online Meeting
Hangouts Meet Assign Meeting Privileges
With a Google update rolled out on the 19th of March G Suite Administrators can use permissions on domain based Organisational Units to enable control in Hangouts Meet that is education-wise for the character of the online meetings.
Selected organisational units that contain faculty and staff and Classroom Teachers Groups receive meeting privileges.Google Hangouts Meet Meeting Privileges
Teachers, educators, online meeting owners ( event hosts and organisers) can:
- prevent participants from re-joining a meeting
- mute or remove other participants in a meeting
Beyond Hangouts Meet Technicalities. How to Benefit From Events?
Nearly everyone is engaged with events now, from authors launching books, students in education, activists promoting causes in global and local socially engaged initiatives, expert conferences, online webinars and live streamed events to just participating in any event friends are inviting you. Being a volunteer at Insight Seminars, I’ve observed people addicted to the transformational power of events to an extend where unintentionally their whole life turns into events only. A situation similar to meetings only experience at work. How to benefit from events while avoid distraction?
Events Expand Expertise
Choose carefully the topics of your interest! The chances to be distracted when you already have your own professional expertise are potentially minimal. On E Board Home series is a best Use Case of an online event, expanding participant’s expertise.
I have my own experience with events transformational power. In the beginning of my professional transition from international commerce industry to consultancy in digital brand communications I joined:
- Thought leadership niche such as SEO
- International environment such as Google’s global platforms and products, Google Product Experts Program events.
By its nature the transformational process you get involved with events is ultimately a personal growth process. Give time for the learning from events to become an awareness of a persisting interest and passion.
How to Stamp Digitally
As soon as you have focused on the events of your interest, explore the best practices for evidencing the online activity across channels. Engagement online is expected to increase 10 times on mobile devices therefore attending events either organising events is a must for PR and Brand reputation purposes. Event’s digital footprint is equally important. Ironically best practices start with a minus or in other words with data discrepancy. Below are the most frequent mistakes I recapped from 5 years of research and personal experience with live stream and online events.
Mastering Events Digital Footprint Excludes:
- single format
- ignoring relevance between roles and data
- public relations clichee
Users online are in fact a standalone audience different than participants in the event’s physical hall either the Hangouts Meet or other virtual room. For a digital footprint implement best content strategies, learn from from Google’s Search resources.
How to progress with Hangouts Meet?
- Subscribe to my constantly updated playlist “Meet” from Google resources.
- Visit Google Meet Help Center and Community
- Subscribe to On E Board Home series and Tutorials created through extensive weekly Hangout Meet practice.
- Follow #OnEBoard on Twitter and bookmark On E Board
Read the related Weekly Update – March 7, 2020: Coronavirus-related Policies, Hangouts Meet Premium, Pixel Feature Drop (Peggy K.)
Disclaimer: Google and the Google owned logos are registered trademarks of Google LLC, used with permission