For best solutions on a website, improving pages or starting new projects where developers and clients need a clear communication about the exact categories, action buttons, functionalities and vision, here’s one winning formula:
Co-edit Sites Live in Real Time with Google Sites
Live co-editing of a Site is a shortcut for “being on one page”, accelerating teamwork and visualising projects to make them more efficient. Live editing has been an old thing for many years. Developers and clients have been trying to explain to each other goals, design of the site etc. Yet with Google Sites live co-editing is very handy.
The important point is the live-editing of Sites is a feature available for everyone. Multiple people can edit a Site. The changes are seen by everyone in real time.
How to Co-edit a Site live in Real Time: Demo (5:38)
To demonstrate the functionality we worked on oneboard.network/events page. Before the improvement the page included the public events calendar, one featured video from the series OnEBoard Creative Collaboration and two featured videos from the “How- to” OnEBoard tutorials.
While OnEBoard has a very well structured series of events for 4 years now, this fact remained visually unclear on the events page.
Before the live co-editing
Preperation Stage: Live co-editing on a Copy of the Site
A copy of the page/site fits well the process of improving a page. Collaborators go through brainstorming and decision making therefore working comfortably on a copy of the site gives the freedom of experimenting. To choose how to organise the page we had to select new content and a new way to list the OnEBoard events on the page. Once we decided which items to include, we started suggesting how and in which order they should be visualised.
Efficient Live Co-editing of the Site in Real Time
Here are the tools we used:
1. While editing work on a computer. Check some technical requirements.
2. Log in with your Google Account. Non-Google account users can be invited to become Editors via an email with a verification code they must enter.
3. Open the Site to be edited. You need Editor permissions to complete the live co-editing.
4. Collaborators’ cursors appear automatically in Site edit mode and texttile while typing.
5. Adjust the width of a Site or add a page frame: Themes > Custom > Edit > Spacing > Width > and/or Show page frame. The width options include:
- Normal (Default): Designed for more spread out Sites with less content
- Full: Designed for dense, content-heavy Sites
- Wide: Designed for Sites that fall between normal and full
6. Align buttons left, centre, or right within a group and fit their text.
Watch the demo How to Co-edit Sites Live in Real Time
After the editing: https://www.oneboard.network/events
In the time of abrupt AI driven solutions, collaborators need equivalently fast sync tools. Live co-editing of Sites can be a priority and up-to-date environment facilitating the decision making process in project management and in any other digitatization related scenario.
Add or Edit text & Images including easily duplicate objects (images, buttons, text boxes) and groups when editing a Site.
Practice Collaboration and learn about Collaboration tools by joining #OnEBoardChat on Sundays at 6 PM UTC.