Online freedoms are under threat – 2017 Freedom on the Net Report
Live now watch page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKyxjacJeo
*with the support of #Google an many more
I Quote the article by Nicolas Seidler
Senior Policy Advisor at Internet Society
“As more people get online every day, Internet Freedom is facing a global decline for the 7th year in a row.
Today, Freedom House released their 2017 Freedom on the Net report, https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-net/2017/manipulating-social-media-undermine-democracy one of the most comprehensive assessments of countries’ performance regarding online freedoms. The Internet Society is one of the supporters of this report. We think it brings solid and needed evidence-based data in an area that fundamentally impacts user trust.
Looking at 65 countries, the report highlights several worrying trends, including:
– manipulation of social media in democratic processes
– restrictions of virtual private networks (VPNs)
– censoring of mobile connectivity
– attacks against netizens and online journalists
– Elections prove to be particular tension points for online freedoms (see also -Freedom House’s new Internet Freedom Election Monitor). Beyond the reported trend towards more sophisticated government attempts to control online discussions, the other side of the coin is an increase in restrictions to Internet access, whether through shutting down networks entirely or blocking specific communication platforms and services.
These Internet shutdowns are at the risk of becoming the new normal. In addition to their impact on freedom of expression and peaceful assembly, shutdowns generate severe economic costs, affecting entire economies and the livelihood of tech entrepreneurs, often in regions that would benefit the most from digital growth.” end of quote
Read the article here:
Updates from “Freedom in The World”
#Trend2018 #ShapeTomorrow #netfreedom2017